The Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our little community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Favourite Books & Authors

Go down 
+2
Truefan
Louisa
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Louisa

Louisa

Favourite Books & Authors Empty
PostSubject: Favourite Books & Authors   Favourite Books & Authors Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 7:03 am

What are your favourite books and authors?

Here are a few of mine.

Banishment by Dinah Lampitt (always my absolute favourite)

The Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
The Vampire Diaries series by L J Smith
Anything by Sandra Hill

The Wild Swans by Kate Holmes (one of the funniest romance novels ever)

Anything by P C Cast (fantasy romances that are really original)

Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (and most of her other books as well)

J Suzanne Frank's time travel series

Basically anything that has a paranormal twist to it.
Back to top Go down
Truefan
Admin
Truefan

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books & Authors   Favourite Books & Authors Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 7:14 am

The Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
The Vampire Diaries series by L J Smith

Sound so interesting. I don't know the first one but the second one is the one from the show, right?

Mine:

Oscar Wilde and Shakespeare are my fav writters. Salome, Vera and the nihilists and Midsummer night's dream are my fav plays.

I still love Neverending story by Michael Ende and my fav book is The Silmarillion by Talkien. Beautiful stories and mithology! And I enjoyed a lot Anne Rice's Mummy.
Back to top Go down
http://truefan.heavenforum.com
Louisa

Louisa

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books & Authors   Favourite Books & Authors Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 7:24 am

The Vampire Diaries came out before the show did, but they are connected, yes.

The Dark Hunter series is very good, and the author has an amazingly detailed web site (with lots of hunky men on it ;-)

I have not read much Oscar Wilde, though I did read The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Ernest a long time ago.

Not a fan of Shakespeare I'm afraid.

I have never read The NeverEnding Story, but loved the movie when I was a kid.

I forgot about Anne Rice's books. I liked her Vampire Chronicles at the start of the series, though stopped reading after Memnoch.

Also liked the start of the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton, though only the first ten or so of them. I wasn't going to read the one that came out last, but relented when it was about my favourite character (Jason) but she had ruined him completely and made me wish that I had not bothered.
Back to top Go down
Alya

Alya

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books & Authors   Favourite Books & Authors Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 5:54 pm

Neil Gaiman and Tim Powers, forever and ever. I met Tim Powers in person some years ago when he came to Spain to present "Declare" and he is really fantastic, I still stay in contact by e-mail with him.
I want to meet Neil Gaiman some day too (at this moment, my daughter recognize his pictures and call him "gaiman-gaiman" XDDDDD).
Back to top Go down
kev

kev

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books & Authors   Favourite Books & Authors Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 6:21 pm

Mercedes Lackey, David Weber, Jacqueline Carey. Others come and go. Generally fantasy, urban fantasy, scifi.

I read a lot of the Laurel K Hamilton, Anita Blake and her other series. But over the course of the books it stopped being fantasy and turned into erotica. And not all that good of erotica either. So I stopped reading it. In the past I read a lot of the classic scifi, ans still like a lot of that.

I also read a lot of history and biography and other non fiction.
Back to top Go down
Louisa

Louisa

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books & Authors   Favourite Books & Authors Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 4:31 am

Kev wrote:

I read a lot of the Laurel K Hamilton, Anita Blake and her other series. But over the course of the books it stopped being fantasy and turned into erotica. And not all that good of erotica either. So I stopped reading it.

Exactly why I have lost interest in them as well. It started to go downhill with Narcissus in Chains and has got steadily worse.

I kept on reading as I had hopes that they might improve, but her total destruction of Jason's character in the last book was the nail in the coffin for me.

She took a character, who was potentially interesting, gave us all these hints that there was more to him than meets the eye, potentially setting him out for some really good story lines, and then turns him into nothing more than yet another notch on Anita's bedpost, which is probably becoming increasingly unstable because of all the notches it has in it by now.

She effectively killed my favourite character, and literally killing him off would have been less awful.
Back to top Go down
kev

kev

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books & Authors   Favourite Books & Authors Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:45 am

I think I probably stopped reading it earlier than you, since I don't recall that. It's been at least 2 years. And she had a series about a girl who was an elven princess in disguise that's mostly erotica as well. I read a couple of them and stopped. I don't know that I'll read her again.

I just recalled, Janet Evanovich. She rights the Stephanie Plum "mysteries". I put mysteries in quotes because even though the books are shelved with the mystery section, they aren't really good as mysteries. What they are great at is comedy. As in laugh out loud funny. Or at least the first 14 were. The 15th missed.

And sorry if you got that as a PM, i hit the wrong button. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Louisa

Louisa

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books & Authors   Favourite Books & Authors Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:59 am

I only read the first of the Merry Gentry series, that was more than enough.

I suspect that if I had not been reading the Anita Blake ones for so long already, or had picked up one of the recent books first, then I would never have read the rest of the series of those either.

The last one I read, which may have been the most recent book, was Blood Noir. And before that I had been of the mind not to bother with the next one as I was so disappointed in the more recent ones. Then I found out it was a novel focusing on Jason, thought it would be better since he was one of the few characters who was more interesting, and changed my mind and bought it. I wished I had not bothered by the time I finished it.

I am highly unlikely to buy any more of the series.

I have read fanfiction for the series that is better than the more recent books. Though Hamilton is one of those authors who does not allow readers to write and publish fanfics, so the sites get taken down quite often.

Oh, that was the PM alert. I got an email alert, but nothing was there when I came to the site. Was confused and thought it was a bug. I guess deleting PMs that have not been picked up removes them from the other person's inbox as well - handy to know. Thanks for letting me know that.
Back to top Go down
SlayerBitch

SlayerBitch

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books & Authors   Favourite Books & Authors Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 2:29 pm

There are still plenty of books I gotta/wanna read, but so far:

The catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
books by Nicci French and Pieter Aspe (Belgian writer)

I also liked the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer, lol.
Back to top Go down
trucherrygirl

trucherrygirl

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books & Authors   Favourite Books & Authors Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 10:52 pm

Harry Potter series, Buffy series, Catcher in the Rye, books by James Herriot, Lurlene McDaniel, Diana Gallagher, Jennifer Weiner, The Bell Jar (and poetry) by Sylvia Plath, A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf, Twilight series and The Host by Stephenie Meyer, Make a Scene by Jordan Rosenfeld, Playing by Melanie Abrams
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/trucherrygirl
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books & Authors   Favourite Books & Authors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite Books & Authors
Page 1 of 1