The Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our little community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What are you reading now?

Go down 
+5
Alya
Juan
Truefan
kev
Louisa
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Louisa

Louisa

What are you reading now? Empty
PostSubject: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 7:46 am

Apart from the obvious answer (this topic), what book are you reading at the moment?

I am actually between books at the moment.

I have been reading a lot of ebooks (to save on book shelf space and money) instead of regular paperbacks.

The last actual paperback book that I read was Acheron, by Sherrilyn Kenyon.
Back to top Go down
kev

kev

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 8:34 am

Right now I'm rereading a book by Mercedes Lackey called "By the sword", which is part of her Valdemar series. I also have a book by David Walker called "Comeback America", which is non-fiction about the US government. That's heavier going, and I'll probably only finish it with a lot of breaks for other things.
Back to top Go down
Truefan
Admin
Truefan

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 9:26 am

I just read book 6 of The Sword of Truth and now I am waiting for Sweet Little Lies, the second part of LA Candy by Lauren Conrad. Silly, but I enjoyed a lot the first one.
And I got stuck with Son of a Witch, the second part of Wicked. It's been in my nighttable for a year or so but i can't help it, i just could go with 20 pages or so....
Back to top Go down
http://truefan.heavenforum.com
Juan
Admin
Juan

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 11:07 am

I'm in something like a reading hiatus right now, but I'm reading "Los Caminantes" (The Walkers), a Spanish novel about zombies, and I have ready to read both The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, and A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.
Back to top Go down
Alya

Alya

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Fiction: "Anansi Boys", "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell", "The Light Fantastic".
Back to top Go down
Tyg
Admin
Tyg

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 6:07 pm

@Juan Tell me if The Strain is good when you finish it.

I just finished The Enchantress of Florence (started well, but started to drag towards the end) and I've just started The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. So far I'm really enjoying it, it's very well written.
Back to top Go down
Juan
Admin
Juan

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:17 pm

Do you really think it's well written? Shocked Maybe the translation's not good, but I really hated the lack of style when reading all of Millennium books...

As for The Strain, as soon as I've finished it, I'll pass my judgement. Wink
Back to top Go down
Tyg
Admin
Tyg

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Sometimes there's too much detail in it which is irritating, but in the way that it drives the story along and keeps your interest I think it's well written. He's never going to win any awards for the prose style, but I think it's good for the type of story.
Back to top Go down
SlayerBitch

SlayerBitch

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Last book I read was The Gift by Cecilia Athern. Not my style, I actually ordered a different book but Play.com sent me this one by mistake and I was too lazy to return it, LOL. It was okay though.

Now I'm giving The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo another chance. I quit it the first time. Page 180 now and it's intriguing, but I'm still not entirely convinced.
Back to top Go down
trucherrygirl

trucherrygirl

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 10:49 pm

I recently bought a book called Rules for Saying Goodbye by Katherine Taylor. I have to get back to reading that.

And pretty soon I'll be reading a book called Past Due: A Story of Disability, Pregnancy and Birth by Anne Finger for my Women and Disability class.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/trucherrygirl
Tyg
Admin
Tyg

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 1:17 pm

I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It took a while to really get into but then I was hooked. I really enjoyed it but I don't think I'd bother buying the next two.

I'm not sure whether to start The Prime Minister by Anthony Trollope or Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh. I've got a whole bunch of books to read.
Back to top Go down
Juan
Admin
Juan

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 2:42 pm

I wouldn't, if I were you... I read the three of them, and even if the first one kept my interest somehow, the other two were horrible... You really should keep the good taste for the fine ending and not messing it all with the nest two...
Back to top Go down
SlayerBitch

SlayerBitch

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 3:02 am

Ahh.. I have a hard time reading the first one! The story is interesting but somehow I can't be bothered to read more than 1 chapter at once, this way it's going really slow Laughing . But I have to finish it because I also have the 2nd one. And I wanna know what happened to Harriet!
Back to top Go down
kryptic_evil

kryptic_evil

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:02 am

Just reading Quinn's Hart by Cassandra Gold and I'm loving it!!!! Very Happy Thanks to Louisa for the recommendation! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Juan
Admin
Juan

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 3:26 am

SlayerBitch wrote:
Ahh.. I have a hard time reading the first one! The story is interesting but somehow I can't be bothered to read more than 1 chapter at once, this way it's going really slow Laughing . But I have to finish it because I also have the 2nd one. And I wanna know what happened to Harriet!

Laughing I can tell you, so you can avoid the pain of reading both books...

I now have a question for all of you who read all or some of Stieg Larsson's books... What do you think of Mikael Blomqvist?
Back to top Go down
SlayerBitch

SlayerBitch

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:33 am

haha no don't tell me! I'm totally into the story now! I agree the way it's written is quite simple (sometimes a little boring because too descriptive), but I don't really mind. If a story is strong enough, a writer doesn't need to use difficult words and sentences, IMO. And right now I'm liking the story. Wink Just hope I won't be disappointed later on...
Back to top Go down
Juan
Admin
Juan

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:42 pm

Laughing OK, I won't spoil the Harriet arc, but I have to say I though it was pretty much a fever induced one when I finished the book...
Back to top Go down
Tyg
Admin
Tyg

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:18 pm

Mikael gets a lot of pussy for a middle-aged journalist.
Back to top Go down
Juan
Admin
Juan

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 3:28 pm

I've always said Mikael Blonqvist is Stieg Larsson's alter ego...

By the way, I'm reading right now 2 books: "The Walkers" by Carlos Sisí, a Spanish novel about a zombie outbreak in Spain, and "The Strain" by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. The beginning it's really interesting. I guess it won't disappoint me further than finishing it and not having the second book...
Back to top Go down
SlayerBitch

SlayerBitch

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 4:24 am

Hehe, I don't have a certain opinion about Michael Blomkvist... But you could be right juan, lol.

I know what happened to Harriet now! I didn't see that one coming! Gonna finish the book today and then start "Keeping You A Secret" by Julie Anne Peters.
Back to top Go down
Juan
Admin
Juan

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Really? It was pretty obvious for me... Once again, all the books seemed too obvious for me, so maybe it's just me...
Back to top Go down
Truefan
Admin
Truefan

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:01 am

Vampire diaries Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kev

kev

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:57 am

I've been rereading most of Mercedes Lackey's Heralds of Valdemar series. Next up is Heat Wave by Castle. The copy I reserved at the library is finally available. I'm curious to see who the real author is.

Last edited by Kev on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SlayerBitch

SlayerBitch

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:46 am

Juan wrote:
Really? It was pretty obvious for me... Once again, all the books seemed too obvious for me, so maybe it's just me...

What? Obvious?? Okay, maybe near the end, when we almost found out the truth it was, but it wasn't for a very long time (for me).

Anyways I finished Keeping You A Secret, it was really cute.

Think I'm gonna start "Amerikanen zijn niet gek" ("Americans aren't crazy") by Charles Groenhuijsen. Got it from the library, pretty much about stereotypes about America (and invalidate them) by a Dutch writer.
Back to top Go down
Tyg
Admin
Tyg

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 8:43 am

@Eve & Juan: I didn't figure it out for ages either. I enjoyed the ending. I thought the money-stealing bit at the very end was dull though.

@Kevin: Tell me if it's good. I wonder if it's someone on the writing team or if they got in a ghost writer?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you reading now?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Board :: The board :: The Library-
Jump to: