The Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our little community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What are you reading now?

Go down 
+5
Alya
Juan
Truefan
kev
Louisa
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
kev

kev

What are you reading now? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 9:36 am

Tyg wrote:

@Kevin: Tell me if it's good. I wonder if it's someone on the writing team or if they got in a ghost writer?

I just finished Heat Wave by Castle. Actually it is a short book, and finished it in one long evening. Impressions...... Unimpressed. The point behind the book was to make it appear that "Richard Castle" wrote it. And "Richard Castle" is supposed to be a long time best selling author. Which, you would think, would make him experienced, professional, and smooth. This book isn't. The book is unpolished. I'm having trouble coming up with quite the right words to describe it. But it comes off as more the first published effort of a rookie writer than it does the professional work of a veteran. The chemistry between the characters in the show does not show up in the book. The dialog is weak. The presentation as a whole is unsatisfying. While the tone has a ghost of a similarity to the show, it falls flat. Reminds me of that expression "he phoned it in".

As to who wrote it, nothing in the print tells that. I had thought it might be Stephen J Cannell, who is the show's creator as well as a veteran novelist. However, it is hard to see a writer with Cannell's experience delivering such an unpolished, amateurish work. I rarely read mystery, so I had never before read one of that man's books. So I don't know. They could have had a writer from the show write it, but then why is the feel of the book so much weaker than the feel of the show? scratch

As a whole, a little interesting. But not good enough to encourage reading another of the series if another is made. Recommendation, low. There are too many better things to read out there.
Back to top Go down
Tyg
Admin
Tyg

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 3:48 pm

That's disappointing. Kind of stupid too, it could be a nice addition to the DVD sales if they actually put out some good books.
Back to top Go down
kev

kev

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Rereading an old book off my shelf. Dog Wizard by Barbara Hambly. It's a fantasy. Hambly is different from the other fantasy authors that I know in that she's much darker. Most fantasy is "it's always darkest before the dawn." Hambly is more "It's high noon, it's midsummer's day, it's dark, and there's a storm coming". It's not going to get any brighter.
Back to top Go down
SlayerBitch

SlayerBitch

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Started the first True Blood book: Dead Until Dark
Back to top Go down
Truefan
Admin
Truefan

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 4:56 pm

That will be my next one Very Happy
I started a few minutes ago the 3rd one of the vampire diaries series
Back to top Go down
http://truefan.heavenforum.com
trucherrygirl

trucherrygirl

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 10:42 pm

Past Due: A Story of Disability, Pregnancy and Birth by Anne Finger
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/trucherrygirl
SlayerBitch

SlayerBitch

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:41 am

On Television by Pierre Bourdieu (for a class)
Back to top Go down
kev

kev

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 am

New Ideas from Dead Economists. by Todd Buchhold. Just rereading it as a review.
Back to top Go down
trucherrygirl

trucherrygirl

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 1:38 am

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (for Science Fiction Film class)
Back to top Go down
kev

kev

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 8:43 am

trucherrygirl wrote:
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (for Science Fiction Film class)

Which is what the movie Bladerunner is, very loosely, based on. Very loosely Razz
Back to top Go down
trucherrygirl

trucherrygirl

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Kev wrote:
trucherrygirl wrote:

Which is what the movie Bladerunner is, very loosely, Yebased on. Very loosely Razz

Yes, I know! One of my friends from film club (who's also my caregiver actually) recommended the book to me! We can read any science fiction book we want pretty much. I showed the book to my professor and she's like, "You can't go wrong with Philip K. Dick." Okay, then! Laughing

I'm loving it so far! Already more than 100 pages in. We'll be watching Blade Runner this coming week actually (on Monday), so we're reading some articles about the film and it's interesting to read how different the book is from the film. Still, I've heard very good things about the film, so I'm hoping it's good on its own merit! The book actually reminds me a bit of Dollhouse with the androids and bounty hunter conflict and the whole "But you're programmed to think that way!" theme. I wonder if Joss drew inspiration for Dollhouse from Philip K. Dick.

Reading this book makes me want to read more science fiction books. What have I been missing out on?! Seriously.
Back to top Go down
kev

kev

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 4:15 pm

For fiction, I almost always read Scifi or fantasy. Which in bookstores is shelved together, because fans of one tend to be fans of the others. Libraries only sometimes do it that way. While I have read more fantasy than Scifi, I think Scifi gets a higher rating overall. Though of course it's not always good. But some great authors of scifi have true science backgrounds. And some scifi has broken ground that science caught up on only decades later. Some scifi is really just contemporary stories, but in a futuristic setting. But much else explores real moral and ethical issues as they pertain the the changing realities of the world. Like Firefly did.

Joss probably did read PK Dick at some point. There are few absolutely new ideas in entertainment. And while I never read anything exactly like Dollhouse, some of the themes have been shadowed in other works. Slavery, or slave like conditions, and prostitution have featured in any number of future scenarios. Think of the role of the "furniture" in Soylent Green.

Just finished "What's the matter with Kansas?" By Thomas Frank. Written in 2004, this puts into words a lot of things I've been thinking about American politics in recent years. If you want to get an understanding of the far right reaction in American politics, this is the book to start with.
Back to top Go down
Tyg
Admin
Tyg

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Have you guys been watching Caprica? It's got a lot of the same themes running through it too. The first 3 or 4 eps are kind of slow/messy, but it gets really good after that.

I seem to have come to a stall with The Prime Minister (although I'm still reading it) so I've now started Salt: A World History.
Back to top Go down
kev

kev

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 4:52 pm

I haven't, because I don't have cable TV. I've only seen the first 2 seasons of BSG Embarassed

I read a book on salt too, possibly the same one. It's interesting. Is that by the same author that did the book Cod? Because that was a good one as well.
Back to top Go down
SlayerBitch

SlayerBitch

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 10:00 am

Living Dead in Dallas - Charlaine Harris
Back to top Go down
kryptic_evil

kryptic_evil

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 1:08 pm

The 4400: Welcome to Promise City by Greg Cox Very Happy Loving it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tyg
Admin
Tyg

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 3:31 pm

@ Kev - Shame on you! Although to be honest the first 2 seasons are the best.

I'm reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery right now. It's very good so far.
Back to top Go down
kev

kev

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 4:09 pm

I'd either have to rent or buy the dvds. I don't like watching shows online. The quality if too low.

I've been rereading some old series. For lack of energy to get into anything new. The Garrett PI series by Glenn Cook and stuff by Elizabeth Moon.
Back to top Go down
Tyg
Admin
Tyg

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 2:06 pm

@ Kev: Sorry I missed your Salt question. Yep, it's by the same guy who wrote the cod book. I have to admit that I got distracted and never actually finished it. When it comes to books, I'm very easily distracted by something newer and shinier.
Back to top Go down
kev

kev

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 4:13 pm

Razz I usually finish a book. But occasionally it takes me forever to start them.
Back to top Go down
SlayerBitch

SlayerBitch

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 10:21 am

The Girl who Played with Fire - Stieg Larsson
Back to top Go down
SlayerBitch

SlayerBitch

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 8:19 am

Finished The Butterfly House by Marcia Preston and currently reading Plan B by Emily Barr.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading now?   What are you reading now? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you reading now?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Board :: The board :: The Library-
Jump to: